Overview of Jewish Life at Wake Forest University
With more than 300 Jewish undergraduate and graduate students, the Office of Jewish Life, under the auspices of the Chaplain’s Office, serves as the center of a growing Jewish community at Wake Forest University.
The Office of Jewish Life Programming provides support, pastoral counseling, mentoring, and religious guidance to Wake Forest University Jewish students, faculty and staff, as well to the greater WFU community.
- The Office of Jewish Life is a resource and connection to Jewish activities on campus.
- The Rosenblatt Family Hillel is our Jewish student-led organization that offers a variety of Jewish themed events.
- Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) is our Jewish-affiliated fraternity. Many of our Jewish students choose to be involved both with Rosenblatt Family https://jewishlife.wfu.edu/jewish-life/israel-fellow/Hillel and with Greek life.
- SSI – Students Supporting Israel is a national organization with a chapter on the Wake Forest campus. Many students are working to charter this organization for official recognition on our campus.
- The Israel Fellow shares personal experiences of modern Israel through the lens of its socially-progressive values and its accomplishments in technology, life sciences, and the arts.
- The Jewish Studies Program is an interdisciplinary program requiring 18 credit hours (200 level or above) in at least 2 different departments.
- Jewish spaces and amenities on campus include:
- Hillel Lounge & kosher (dairy) kitchen in Collins Residence Hall
- Office of Jewish Life with a lending library in Benson University Center
- A built-in Ark with Torah in Davis Interfaith Chapel
- Athletics: Multiple Jewish students on campus compete in Wake Forest’s varsity programs (16 are offered). 85 percent of Wake Forest students participate in intramural sports.
- Academics is rigorous but class size is small as you get to know your professors, many of whom are Jewish.
- Jewish Student Engagement Interns take you out for coffee, to get to know you better, and help you if you have any questions.
- Jewish holiday services and celebrations take place on campus for your convenience.
- A weekly e-mail is sent with information about Jewish activities on campus.
- The Wake Forest Birthright Trip is in the summer.
- The local Jewish community is very warm and welcoming, inviting you to join them in prayer services and in local service projects. And you might get invited for dinner, too!
Check out our WFU Hillel Facebook Page for some of what happens at WFU.
Jewish Life Office
Dr. Gail Bretan
Associate Chaplain for Jewish Life
The Office of the Chaplain
Wake Forest University
Benson Center 321, PO Box 7204
Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Office of the Chaplain
8D, Reynolda Hall
To Donate: Thank you for your donations that make our programs possible.
The mission of the WFU Jewish Life Office is to build and support the Jewish community of Wake Forest campuses while providing safe exploration and growth spaces for experiencing and sharing the full spectrum of Jewish life and identity.